The sea was not enough to protect the city of Venice. A network of fortifications with cannons and howitzers along the Cavallino coastline was needed. The Pisani Battery, named in honor of the Venetian commander of the same name who defeated Pietro Doria’s fleet in 1380 during the War of Chioggia, was built from 1909 to 1912, shortly before the outbreak of the Great War.
It was armed with six 280 L/9 howitzers, later replaced with four 76/40 anti-aircraft guns. During the Second World War it housed an anti-aircraft artillery post. Today it houses the Great War Museum of the same name.
Years of Construction: 1909 – 1912
Address: Via V. Pisani 40, loc. Ca’ Savio, Cavallino-Treporti (VE)
GPS coordinates: 45° 27′ 1.09″ N, 12° 28′ 6.56″ E