THE HISTORY OF COASTAL BATTERIES
In order to defend Venice, the V. Pisani Battery, completed before the outbreak of the Great War and armed with six 280 L/9 howitzers – later replaced with four 76/40 anti-aircraft guns – was built, as were the San Marco Battery and the Radaelli Battery, both designed by Captain Ambrosini.
Italy entered the war on 24 May 1915. In order to face the German and Austro-Hungarian, enemy forces, whose fleet had powerful battleships, more powerful 381/40 cannons were needed. A real “war village” was set up, the Amalfi Battery, now a museum of itself and a Memorial Park.